Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Question for the other Catholic bloggers

So, a friend asked me the following question earlier tonight, and I'm mildly embarrassed to admit that I knew more about the LDS answer than the Catholic one. I mean, I like knowing a lot about other religions, but I guess I just assumed I knew the same amount about my own.

Just to warn you, it's on a topic that may offend some people. Obviously, discussing it doesn't offend me (or I wouldn't bring it up in polite conversation, er, blogging), but it may bother some, and that's why the rest of it is behind the "read more" link below:*

(*At least I hope it is. I just enabled this feature and I can't get to (anything).blogspot.com to check it!)



Now, before I get to the actual question, some caveats:

  • The question was asked and (partially) answered in the spirit of cool-headed, curious inquiry. Please answer it the same way. I doubt most of you would start a flame war in the comments, but if you do, the comments, they are disappearing.

  • I already know the general gist of the answer and my defensive side feels obligated to add this bullet point just to let you know that I'm a partial, not a total, ignoramus about my own culture. :)

  • If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.



Sooo...

The question is, why does the Catholic Church consider homosexual activity a sin? I know it's something to do with lust, and with using sex for things other than creating life. I know the LDS take on it is (among other things) that there are souls out there waiting for their chance at mortal life, and it's important to help them get here. As far as I know (which isn't as far as I thought it was), that doesn't apply in Catholic theology. So what are the details of the Catholic explanation for why acting on homosexual desires is a sin? Do we pattern ourselves on Adam and Eve more explicitly than I realized? Is it that the default value of sex is "bad," and there are exceptions to that? Is it that homosexual activity is by definition extramarital? If so, does that go back to the Adam and Eve thing?

I can see how the medieval philosophers drove themselves crazy. :) Post away! Enlighten me!


3 comments:

  1. I am a definite amateur at this so will give it my off-the-cuff answer definitely intended in the spirit in which the question was asked ... (is that disclaimer-y enough for everyone? ha!)

    First of all, the Catholic Church teaches that God everyone to be celibate who is not married. This would naturally include homosexuals.

    Second of all, the Catholic Church teaches that married couples should be open to life, which is an act of creation that we share with God. We create the physical being while God creates the soul for each person. Therefore, it is a sacred act and one to be cherished. So, unlike the stereotype (or perhaps the 1950's teaching approach) sex is not bad at all ... sex is very good ... when it is used as God intended.

    From there you can see where the conversations go into things like birth control (which is why NFP is supported so that families can plan but also leave room for God), etc.

    I realize this is a very short answer and probably does not cover all the angles that were intended in the question but it is a start. I can refer y'all to other (no doubt more complete) sources if anyone is interested. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and then Hypatia realizes she's overlooking the obvious again, and goes to poke around in her Catechism (resisting the urge to hit herself on the head with it, Monty-Python-monk style)

    Thanks, Julie, for your detailed and thoughtful answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book that is a great addendum to the Catechism is Peter Kreeft's "Catholic Christianity." It is a big book but kind of puts the
    "muscle" behind the basics of the Catechism in a very understandable way. He develops everything very logically and, in fact, this is the book that brought me to a true understanding and acceptance of Church teachings on homosexuality, abortion, etc. ... because I finally "got" the basics on where the Church was coming from.

    ReplyDelete