Monday, April 25, 2005

More advice for myself

I found this in the comments for a thread on making fun out of chores over at 43 Folders. I haven't figured out if it really works for me yet, but it certainly sounds like good advice. Obviously it applies to more than dishes; like, for instance, that laundry that's piling up in the hallway.

"To my mind, the idea that doing dishes is unpleasant can occur only when you aren't doing them. Once you are standing in front of the sink with your sleeves rolled up and your hands in warm water, it really isn't so bad. I enjoy taking my time with each dish, being fully aware of the dish, the water, and each movement of my hands. I know that if I hurry in order to go and have a cup of tea, the time will be unpleasant, and not worth living."

From Thich Nhat Hanh: Essential Writings, page 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment