Thursday, April 7, 2005

How'd the test go?

OK, several people have asked me nicely, multiple times, how the (statistics) test went, and I haven't managed to answer them yet. It went well, I think. It wasn't the spectacular victory that my take-home exam in graph theory was (or anyway I'm willing to believe the take-home was a spectacular victory, since I haven't gotten my grade yet!). On the other hand, I was far better prepared for it than I was for the last statistics midterm. If the final goes this well, maybe I can pull off an A in statistics after all...

As for The Well-Educated Mind, I'm very excited about it. I read well and quickly for pleasure, and I'm not unhappy with the ratio of classics to fluff in my reading, but one of the things I miss most about being an undergrad is spending lots of time in liberal-arts lectures, having interesting people tell me interesting things about famous books and events. Maybe books can fill some of that gap while I'm supposed to be spending my time and energy on math and math alone -- I certainly don't have time right now for formal classes, and there are good reasons I decided I shouldn't be a humanities grad student.

Even my optimism sounds sort of cranky to me this morning. Apologies... I'm in a snarky mood after grading some uncharacteristically bad essays from the "Probability for Poets" class.

1 comment:

  1. I love The Well-Educated Mind. Books are a nice release from everyday life, and WEM has a lot of good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete