Monday, March 21, 2005

Self-Discipline

In a comment on TulipGirl's site, I mentioned that I haven't yet developed the self-discipline to blog every day. I do want to keep working on that, though -- I love being able to look back at old journals and remember what I was doing and thinking at some point in the past, and the semi-public nature of a blog keeps me from descending into worry and whining all the time, which makes those re-reads less embarrassing. (I suspect, actually, that I have a terminal case of nostalgia -- Amira's post on Scents of the Middle East really hit home for me. But that's a topic for another time.)

Self-discipline is an area where I'm constantly trying to improve -- not just in blogging, of course, but in all sorts of things, like doing my school work while I'm at school so that I have time to read and relax when I get home. My thought for today comes from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families; I feel a bit self-conscious for reading it, as if I'm supposed to be reading something deeper, or more career-oriented (I'm not even married!), but it's good for me nevertheless.

Between stimulus and response, there is a space.

In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.

In our response lies our growth and our freedom.


I'm not quite sure how to do it, but I intend to start working on finding that space. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment