Wednesday, March 30, 2005

And this is for Anonymous

Or at least he-who-may-wish-to-remain-anonymous.


Once the Prophet was asked, “What person can be the best friend?” “He who helps you remember Allah, and reminds you when you forget Him,” he counselled.


I have a friend who rarely talks about God with me, partly because it's not in either of our natures, and partly because we don't want to end up in a fight. And last night, when I was upset and looking for comfort, this friend reminded me that I should trust in God to take care of me. This wasn't completely unexpected, but it certainly made me stop and think. He is, indeed, a best friend.

I am neither pleased nor proud that I've spent so much time lately being frustrated and angry at the world over smallish things. On the other hand, the more I think about it, the more amazed I am at the way I'm being handed arms' lengths and fathoms of support in my struggle toward a grown-up, well-considered, solid kind of faith.


I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assembly better than it. And if he draws near to Me a hand's span, I draw near to him an arm's length; and if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.


(Both quoted passages above were drawn from a slightly, but not entirely, unlikely source: the brochures at http://www.youngmuslims.ca/publications/.)

No comments:

Post a Comment