Sunday, June 26, 2005

Conflicts of interest

I keep wanting to sit down and catch up with, say, PuppDaddy and Alaska, but they're such gol-durn good examples that I can hardly stand to be sitting still in front of (under?) the laptop, and not up & about making my life a more pleasant place to be (today this mostly means making my apartment a more pleasant place to be...) Between them and Boyfriend, I'm totally doomed. I'm gonna go clean some more.

While I do, I'm listening to Traditional Songs of Wales. Which I suppose is a small advantage to not having Boyfriend around. I've had this CD since I was eleven, and tried to teach myself Welsh from the lyrics booklet at one point; it was one of the first CDs I ever asked for. Having grown up on it, I find that nearly all the Welsh-music albums on iTunes sound very odd to me. They tend to be immense, all-male choirs singing very solemn music, whereas my (clearly twisted) conception of Welsh music has one or two women singing against just a few instruments -- a harp or flute or bagpipes or fiddle, or in one case a clogger's rhythm.

I was thinking of baking cookies today, but it's awfully hot, and I'm not sure I can justify using the oven while the air conditioner is on. Instead, I'll just heat up the apartment with that vigorous cleaning I claimed I was going to go do...

1 comment:

  1. hi, glad you like the cd. when i was asked to compile a cd of welsh music i wanted to offer something other than the stereotypical and mainstream, something deeper. i'm so glad you like it. cheers, ceri

    ReplyDelete