Sunday, December 4, 2005

Self-education 2006

From Seasonal Soundings:

Now is the time to start thinking, planning, gathering, and preparing for your reading and self-education in 2006. You know, if you aim at nothing, you will hit it everytime.

January 1 will be here in, what?, 31 days!

I have been planning my reading for several years, and it has made a world of difference even though I'm never without a book in hand. A plan, a system---flipping around what Alexander Pope said, I say "Without a plan, you have a mighty maze."

We need a variety of selections.....
---for our hearts, some inspiration, some fluff, some brain candy;
---for our souls, some constancy, some daily reads;
---for our intellects, some meat.


Right on.

Some things on my list for January:

Daily Mass readings.

Rice's statistics textbook, because I need to learn a LOT of probability.

Stephenson's Quicksilver, because I'd like to eventually someday finish it.

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, ditto.

No comments:

Post a Comment