Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Arabic

Amira asked:

Did I know you're studying Arabic? Fusha or colloquial?


I'm just starting my second semester of Arabic. Fusha, but I had to use Google to check my guess about what "fusha" meant. :) I'm surprised I haven't come across that word before. Thanks for teaching me!

It probably hasn't come up on the blog before that I'm studying Arabic. I like learning new languages, and I figured that I'm much more likely to actually learn something about a difficult language like Arabic if I study it in class while I'm at the university. I'm extra-lucky, because this university has flat-rate tuition, so studying Arabic doesn't cost me any extra!

I'm just about to head off to class right now, as it happens. When I get back (or when I remember!) I'll write a quick post about what we're studying...

UPDATE: I keep trying to update this post with a list of what we're studying, and my computer keeps crashing. I'm putting this whole endeavor in time-out for a while, so I don't have to take a hammer to the laptop. :)

3 comments:

  1. I am studying Arabic as well, now in my 4th semester of it. If anyone has any questions about learning let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it. I really like Arabic.

    My Arabic program was a bit unique because we studied fusha and colloquial Egyptian and then Palestinian at the same time. I don't speak fusha well at all though. At least I don't sound like a snob, but I can't really talk to a wide variety of Arabs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an Arabic workbook with intentions of teaching myself, but I didn't get beyond my initial exploration of the alphabet.

    I think I need something I'd want to read in Arabic besides the Koran. I'm just not motivated to read the Koran, being totally and unjustifiably satisfied with a couple english translations.

    ReplyDelete